Wednesday, August 01, 2007

This game is.....




Bonkers!

This was a game that I loved as a kid in the late 1970s. And unbelievably, my wife had a full copy of it when I met her! So now we force the kids to play it, instead of Monopoly, to the chagrin of my older daugther.

Here's a recap of the rules. You roll the dice, move, and then play a tile on the spot you land, that'll say something like "ahead 4" or "back 2". Then you do that instruction. You try to aim yourself to the scoring pods. There are also "lose" spaces on the board where you'll lose a point. First to 12 wins.

Because you can't go below zero, Erika's favorite thing to do, even more than winning, is to set traps. If she ends up on the Lose space, she'll deliberately play cards that lead people BACK to Lose. Roll a 5? Then she plays a "back 5" card and you lose another point. (Unless you're at zero.) Click on the picture of the board to see how whatever you'd roll from the Lose space would get you stuck BACK at the Lose space, except for only a couple of possibilities on the dice.

It's also fun when the cards instruct you to go to spaces that have OTHER cards.....Back 5 could lead to ahead 10, which then says back 15, which then says back 4, and you finally get a Score point. If the scoring pod is occupied, you also get to roll again, so you can possibly continue to accumulate points.

Here is the song from the commercial way back when, printed on the bottom of the box. (Courtesy of boardgamegeek.com.)




All right, I gotta pack. We leave at like 1 am tonight. What's that, 4 pm your time, David?

3 comments:

Lucy Dee said...

I have to say I'm a boardgame geek myself. Even though we had a houseful of kids, I could never find anyone to play them with me. Perhaps, that's where my bitter comedian anecdotes from childhood stem from. Thanks for the memories!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Wow. We played a lot of board games growing up, but I've never heard of that one.

Brian in Oxford said...

Dawn, you're slightly younger than I am, so perhaps the funky disco highlights of the board were passe by then!