Thursday, December 21, 2006

Remembering the zone...

Ah, Monday night was one of those all-time athletic accomplishments you always remember.

Like my first little league home run, opening day 1984.
Stripping a runner of the ball as he came around the end and taking it back to the house in Nov. '87 at the park before Thanksgiving.
Scoring 21 points in a row for my team in a college pick-up game in '91. (5 in the first game, then we started over so I scored our first 16 in the next game)

Monday after almost 3 hours, stealing a cross-court pass to go in for a layup, and hitting 2 deep jumpers, including the game-winner, to go from down 17-16 to a 20-18 win (play to 11 but win by 2).

It's just weird the way with the game on the line, I could make my shots as though I had a new level of focus to them. A little "get out of my way, boys" attitude....weird because I *never* shoot that much or even try to establish myself as a primary option. Plus I'd been exhausted and front-rimming everything.

Oh well, it's that level of focus that resonates after you're done....like, wow, I elevated when I needed to! Probably just one more thing I learned by watching Larry Bird when I was a teenager.

So of course, the school's closed for 2 weeks....and the next time I play I'll probably shoot 1-for-10 again.

No comments: